Let me begin by saying that Christmas is in December. Yet we are forced to start celebrating this joyous holiday as early as the end of September, with the arrival of special “Holiday Displays” at department stores, followed shortly in early November with the NON-STOP CHRISTMAS MUSIC.
Don’t get me wrong, I love Christmas-time. Nothing beats the sense of joy and goodwill that accompanies the holiday season. Looking out the window and seeing snow glistening on the ground, sipping cocoa next to a warm fire, spending time with family and friends, some of whom you only get to see during the holidays: these are some of the things I love about Christmas. However, the fact that Christmas is literally thrown in our faces (like snowballs!) the minute fall arrives (BEFORE Halloween, BEFORE Thanksgiving…grr!) is one of the most annoying things I can think of (right up there with phony people, wood-paneled vehicles, and Lindsay Lohan). The whole commercialization of it all is just so…pathetic.
Ugh. It hurts my soul.
Well, today, whilst cruising the internet, I came across the new Justin Bieber video. For his CHRISTMAS SONG.
I don’t know where to begin with this video. I may need a moment to collect my thoughts…
Okay, moment passed.
Here are my thoughts on everything wrong with this ‘holiday’ song:
1) It’s nauseating that they decided to cast a girl who looks similar to Bieber’s real-life girlfriend, Selena Gomez. Why couldn’t they just get her to do it?
2) The whole mopey thing on the girl’s part is so annoying. I’m sorry, but what does this teach girls? “Oh, if I act all sad when he talks to other girls, then he’ll like me more. Especially when I walk away and stare at myself in a window…” That’s a terrible message to send.
3) The fake snow. As a born and bred Wisconsin girl, I KNOW what real snow looks like. And that is NOT real snow. It’s manufactured snow, about as fake as Heidi Montag. *shudder*
4) The term “Shorty” is used in a Christmas song. ‘Nuff said.
5) I’m pretty sure she mounted the photobooth pictures on some cardstock or some s**t. Who does that?
6) The card accompanying the present is signed with his FULL NAME. I should hope I never receive a ‘romantic’ gift and card with such a formal signature.
7) The line “The Wise-men followed a star/The way I followed my heart” Did little Justin write this himself?! OR is his Cracker Jack writing team just that good? *gag*
8) Again, how freaking needy that girl is! I’m sorry, but she really is a TERRIBLE example.
9) The fact that this was released in OCTOBER. Couldn’t’ve the “Biebs” have had the decency to wait until at least November???
10) Justin Bieber. He is just so…annoying.
And there you have it. I could probably think of more, but I’m getting angry simply thinking about this song/video.
PS-What a Christmas Song video SHOULD be: Wham’s “Last Christmas”